BRODHEAD PIETENPOL/HATZ FLY-IN
Also Fleet and Bleriot group gatherings
JULY 16-19, 2015
The following information is provided by Cheeseland Chapter EAA 431 for attendees of the 2015 Pietenpol/Hatz Fly-in. Information is subject to change. For information about specific club activities, please refer to the Hatz or Pietenpol groups. Information provided here is subject to updates and changes. —Last updated July 13, 2015
FIELD CONDITION REPORT – JULY 13, 2015 – Brodhead Airport is in pretty good shape for the fly-in. An overnight storm on July 12 knocked a few trees down, which will be cleaned up today, but watch for broken limbs above you if camping in the woods. The mosquitoes are thick so bring appropriate repellant. Also, the weather is forecast to be hot and Wisconsin humid all week.
Use only the active E-W runway 9/27. Other runways will be closed to landing and departing aircraft earlier in the week and reopening Sunday afternoon (check NOTAM for exact times). All landing and departing aircraft: 800’ AGL left-hand pattern. Radio equipped aircraft use UNICOM on 122.9 but be aware that many aircraft are NOT radio equipped. Keep your eyes open…see and avoid and be predictable!
Fly-bys should be conducted south of the active runway 9/27 employing the standard racetrack pattern with a minimum safe altitude. Example: When runway 9 is active, fly-by traffic will practice a right-hand pattern. When runway 27 is active, all fly-bys will employ left-hand racetrack pattern. Please No fly-bys or low flying along closed runways 3/21 or 15/33!
When done flying for the day, or in the case of bad weather, please ensure that your aircraft is tied down. Please provide your own tie-downs.
AIRCRAFT FUEL AVAILABILITY
100LL and ethanol-free auto fuel (MOGAS) is available at Brodhead; cash, check or credit card accepted. Times of operation will be posted at the pumps and in the pavilion. Self-serve fuel is available 24/7 at Monroe Municipal Airport, 10 nm west (KEFT).
Preferred aircraft camping areas are depicted on the airport diagram. If camping on or near closed runways remember they will reopen Sunday afternoon. Runway closures time for early arrivals; Tuesday evening at 7:00 p.m.
There are no camping fees at Brodhead Airport, but donations are always appreciated to help offset the cost of maintenance.
RVs please use the south entrance. Early arrivals should set-up in the south parking lot until the diagonal runways are closed to aircraft operations on Tuesday evening at 7:00 p.m. Signage will be in place to guide you to the south driveway. You may park/camp along the east edge of the field along Airport Road and in the southeast runway turnaround area once it is closed with the yellow X. Additional camping is available for smaller campers (no RVs) on the southwest side by accessing the south driveway and following the road through Hangar Alley. The southwest runway turnaround is also available for camping once closed. Please do not park or stop and leave your vehicle in Hangar Alley as this is a fire lane. Do not drive across runways to access aircraft camping areas along the west side of the field.
All runways will reopen Sunday afternoon. Please plan your site accordingly.
For driving directions, plug “N2439 Airport Road” into your GPS or mapping program.
The nearest airport with commercial air carrier service is Dane County Regional Airport/Madison (KMSN) about 50 minutes north.
- No campfires outside of the Fire Pit (see diagram above).
- Pets must be on a leash and must not be left unattended.
- Pets are not permitted in the food area.
- Motorized vehicles are not to be operated by minors.
- No parked vehicles or vehicle traffic to and from the west woods.
FOOD & BEVERAGES
- Your fly-in hosts, Cheeseland Chapter EAA 431 volunteers, will have food service at the airport.
- A pancake breakfast will be available on Saturday morning. A continental breakfast Friday & Sunday mornings.
- The lunch window on the back side of the chapter building will be open Friday and Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. offering sandwiches, hot dogs, sides and beverages. Cash only at the lunch window, please.
- Friday night: Fish Boil Dinner; Saturday night: Grilled Pork Chop Dinner. Tickets are required, available all day in the pavilion.
- Drinks are available near the EAA lunch window in vending machines, including cheap bottled water.
- A spaghetti dinner is planned for Thursday evening, put on by Pietenpol volunteers.
- There are fast-food and traditional restaurants in Brodhead (1 mile north) and the Sand Burr Restaurant is about 1.5 miles southeast of the airport on County Hwy T. Rides may be available for those on foot. Please ask at the chapter pavilion. Menus for some restaurants are posted on the bulletin board.
There is no motel in Brodhead and the Bed & Breakfasts listed here may fill up during the fly-in, but its worth a call to check and see about cancellations.
Sutherland House B&B (608) 897-4481
Go-Inn Home B&B (608) 897-8138
Maggie’s Loft B&B (608) 879-2333
Crazy Horse Campground (approx. 4 miles from airport) (608) 897-2207
Private 3-bedroom house for rent in Brodhead. Call 608-558-4474.
MOTELS AVAILABLE IN MONROE, WI (12 miles west):
AmericInn (608) 328-3444
Super 8 (608) 325-1500
Gasthaus (608) 328-8395
More lodging is available in Janesville and Beloit, both about 30 minutes east.
MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS & FAQs
- There are showers and bathrooms available in the main chapter building. Enter at the back of the building. First come, first served. Please help to keep them clean. Porta-potties are scattered around the airport.
- Cheeseland Chapter EAA 431 can now accept credit cards for all chapter purchases, including meal tickets, shirts and donations. This does not apply to the lunch window or to fees paid to the Brodhead Pietenpol Association or the Hatz group.
- There is free WiFi on the field. Look for “Brodhead Airport” and “EAA Chapter 431” networks. Please moderate your usage as much as possible during busy times.
- There are cell phone and laptop charging stations in the pavilion. We are not responsible for loss or theft of items left unattended.
- There are no electric or water connections for RVs at Brodhead Airport. However, please e-mail if you will need a fresh water fill or dump services and we can try to accommodate.
- Due to recent rains, the mosquitoes are thick at Brodhead Airport. Pack extra repellant!
In the event of an emergency that requires police, fire or ambulance, cell phone users should avoid calling 911 and call Brodhead Police directly at 608-897-2112. Brodhead is at the edge of several 911 jurisdictions and cell phone calls can sometimes be picked up by towers in neighboring counties or even Illinois, resulting in a delayed response.
If you have any questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to contact us: email@example.com or call 608-897-1175.